Killing Season Chicago, Wicker Park, July 2011


Click on the names of the deceased on the right navigation panel to see images of the sites and information about the circumstances of their deaths.

Monday, July 4, 2011

1520 N Damen: Day 3

After 3 hours of painstakingly cutting out stencils, I finally got to put the finishing touches on the facade of the Violet Hour yesterday morning. With the help of my wife and my father-in-law, I taped up the stencils for the words "Killing Season Chicago" and spray painted them a bright construction cone orange.




Under the chart, I added the months July, August and September to indicate what time period the installation represents.




As we were painting, a young woman from the neighborhood stopped to express her concern over the word "killing" being painted on a wall in her neighborhood. After explaining the project to her, she asked whether it would be clear as to how I stood on the issue. Erica explained that it was about raising awareness and that clearly, no one is for killing.




After peeling off the stencils, people really started to stop and look. It made me excited to see so many people wander by and stop to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment